This restaurant was actually one of my favorite stops. When my Mom and Dad would go to Ellensburg, WA they would eat here. I had a great breakfast, their scrambled eggs were amazing!
I had never driven through eastern Washington before, and was amazed at the difference on the other side of the Cascades. After these hills, it was just flat!! Acres and acres of hay fields. We hustled through Spokane, and headed into Idaho. The drive through Idaho was pretty short lived, but the speed limit is much higher.
We whizzed through Idaho and entered Montana. They don't call Montana "Big Sky Country" for nothing. It is incredibly beautiful. We made it to Missoula that first day.
The second day of driving was pretty amazing, in the middle of Montana we headed south. This photo is of the Beartooth Mountains in Wyoming, even under grey clouds the beauty is still evident.. Getting into Cody early enough to drive around a bit. We explored the neighborhoods my dad had lived in as a kid. He was not keen on how much Cody had changed, and I agree...it is quite different than I remembered. Still quite interesting though. I would love to take Lee there.
This is the Buffalo Bill statue just outside of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. I really love this picture...the texture of the terrain behind the statue is really neat.
The entrance to the museum is dotted with statues that pertain to the area. This museum is impossible to see in one short visit. There are 5 wings to it, natural history museum, Buffalo Bill museum, the high plains Indian museum, the Whitney western art museum and the Cody firearms museum. I lost my dad a couple times...it is huge! It is incredible and enlightening.
Old Trail Town...I was just as excited to visit this place as I was when I was a kid! My mom knew the founder, and he would let Mike and I see places that were not open to the public. We always left quite impressed. The amount of restored buildings had grown so much in the last thirty some odd years. All of the buildings are painstakingly taken apart, moved and reassembled on the site. They come from all over Wyoming.
Two seconds after taking this picture, I texted it to my brother! Its a two headed calf. It was our favorite oddity when we were kids, along with the two headed baby goat and the infamous stuffed jackalope!!!
Dad had a dinner with his reunion group on Friday night. It was fun to see how excited he was to meet up with old friends. Saturday they had a picnic planned, it was held on the shores of the Buffalo Bill reservoir. The wind was insane out there! Our family friend, Mike Burpee, rode his motorcycle down from Billings to met us out there.
Dad had plans to meet up with a friend who was not able to make it to the reunion, so we dropped him off and Mike (Burpee) and I set out to check out the events on Sheridan Avenue...Cody's main street. We stopped at the Prime Cut Saloon. I took this picture before digging into this burger, because I just had a feeling it would be delicious and I wanted to remember it!
They had closed down Sheridan Avenue to vehicles for an all day event, with booths, a motorcycle show, a car show, a bake sale auction and ending in a boot scootin' boogie dance. It was fun to explore. I am not sure I could ever get used to people openly carrying their guns on their hips though..its a little intimidating, but, I guess that is the point.
Last picture for today, this building in 1936 was actually the hospital and my dad was born on the upper level. Neat piece of history!












No comments:
Post a Comment