Thursday, July 11, 2013

And It Comes Down to this....




Gosh, I am not too sure on where to start this one....we waited for this day for the last year, and it finally came.  Lee's retirement ceremony.  I started getting tears in my eyes the moment he put his uniform on.  In almost 24 years of marriage, I rarely have seen Lee in his uniform.  He always keeps them at work or on the boat.  Unlike most people who chose to have all the hoopla at their ceremony...Lee wanted his a little more low key but keeping with the tradition.  So no one had to dress up in the uniform that makes a grown man consider buying a pair of Spanks...they got to wear their everyday uniform.  I watched as co-workers got the room ready...and my heart swelled with pride and I did my best to keep my eyes from swelling with tears...and then I heard the pipe (CG lingo for announcement over the loudspeaker) for the ceremony.  Mr. Roberts (Lee's master of ceremony) entered then the Captain and then Lee..who even on his very last day, walked in the same way he learned in boot camp back in 1987.  The Captain (Captain Palmeri) rose and made a speech about Lee and his career.  Joking that Lee had been in the guard long enough that he is now a grandpa and has been in the guard longer than many in the room had been alive.  It was awesome to hear those words, it is actually the retiree that writes the speeches...and Lee worked hard on his..about 6 weeks.  I could not hold the tears back any longer when the Captain said that Lee referred to me as his best friend.  After the speech from the Captain, Lee received his award, a Coast Guard Achievement medal, a certificate thanking him for his service signed by the President of the United States, and finally his certificate of retirement.  It is also tradition that the wife and children are recognized for their service and sacrifice as military family members. I loved standing there and seeing the room full of Lee's peers. Then came the most poignant part of the whole ceremony...where members of the Coast Guard take a U.S. flag and fold it as Mr. Roberts read about the history of the flag as Lee's career intertwined into the story...after the flag is folded it is presented to Lee.  Finally, it is Lee's moment to speak...for this he had not prepared anything...he just spoke from his heart...admiting that even he, got a little choked up and shed a tear or two. Then after Lee tells the Captain that it is his wish that the crew be granted early liberty...Lee takes my hand and Elliott's and we are "piped over the bow" (a bos'n whistle is blown as we exit the room).  Afterwards, Lee shook a bunch of hands as people congratulated him and wished him well and they devoured the delicious cake we provided.  Many came up to me and told me how great Lee was at his job, that the Coast Guard has a lot to be thankful for due to Lee...I could not have been more proud!!!  We were honored that Lee's first boss when he arrived here, took it upon himself to photograph the whole entire ceremony.  I am sharing some of them below...


Lee is actually wiping away a tear.  He was/is well liked by the Captain and it showed in the Captain's personal remarks.


Elliott recieving his award for his dedication to his dad's career...Lee looks like he is sad in this pic, but he was actually really happy.


Lee, standing at attention as the flag is being folded for presentation.


Lee's shadow box...it contains 26 years of history and momentos...including pins he traded for the first time he went to Russia, his dog tags from Bahrain and the name tag he wore as an SK "A" school instructor.


Lee and the guys from his shop...they were a funny group.

As we made our way home, Lee said his first job he wants to do as a retiree...is be Mahoney's grandpa.  I gotta say, I truly love this man!!!  Today, Lee's first one as a "free man" (at least until he finds his next job)...he is like a new man, the weight of the world has lifted off his shoulders...and he is excited and ready to start the second half of his life...I am so happy he chose me to go along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment