Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Wall....

The wall of boxes...and Texas!!


Ahhh...here comes the worst part of moving....the pressure!!!  This move is very different from any other we have done.  Typically when you move in the Coast Guard...there are allowances.  You get a dislocation allowance (to help with finding a place to live, deposits and setting up your new home), you also can get your money for traveling before you leave as well.  When you retire...you don't get that.  Money-wise it has been a little stressful.  I saved about 70% of the money I made this spring...and we are still a tiny bit short, there is no wiggle room.  Moving means eating out more than you thought, something always breaks, there are twenty trips to the store for this and that. Yeah, we chose to ship the Corvette up there, but honestly, that was the cheapest option...and thankfully Kristin is doing our lease the legal way (it protects us both) so we are paying first and last months rent and a pet deposit, We paid for Lee's ceremony, new tires and wiring kit for the trailer and we are footing the money for driving up there ourselves.  I must check the bank account 100 times a day.  I know in the end it will all be ok...I just need to keep on swimming! 

Add to that, the saddness of leaving a place where I have lived (yeah, I did the math) 19% of my life (9 years, 3 different tours)...it is a crazy mix. Thankfully, I am not a drinker!  Lots of memories have been made here! Elliott was born here.  Lee started his career as a Storekeeper (silly name for someone who manages the money and purchasing in the Coast Guard) here and retired here.  So, seeing Humboldt in the rear view mirror will be sad...even though I am so excited about the future.  

A few more days and the internet is turned off...but then it will come back on in a new place.  I will have a whole new bunch of topics to vent or exclaim about....stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment