Saturday, January 9, 2016

Then There Were Two...

If you have read this blog for a while, you know I am a big believer in fate and that I have an incredible love for my Suburban.

We have only had one vehicle since just after Elliott was born. When Lee decided to sell his Ford pickup.  Lately, we have seriously pondered adding another car to the family.  Lee and I go in different directions for work, and I rarely work the same hours as he does.  He takes his motorcycle to work in some very unkind weather and rarely complains about it.

I research things...I don't make spur of the moment decisions very well.  I looked through magazines from my dad, online reviews and made a short list of cars we thought would work and fit into the payment we knew we could afford.  

I love to look at cars online, and spent a little time each week making sure as the new 2016's came out that the prices were still right, while also monitoring the prices of the 2015's still on the lot.  

We knew we wanted new or certified used, because after driving an older vehicle for so long...I just really wanted the peace of mind a warranty would provide.  We have never had a fancy vehicle, every time we rent one, we are like little kids swooning over all the bells and whistles.

A car I have been stalking since way before Thanksgiving, prompted me to call the bank for auto loan information.  The call ended with an approved auto loan and a rate that makes me proud of myself!  It also left me with an electronic bank draft for up to an amount that kinda makes me wanna throw up. They approved us for ten thousand more than we wanted...eek! I emailed Lee while I was on the phone with the bank and told him I had pulled the trigger on an auto loan...his reaction was "is that car still there that you like?"  Yes, it was and it was even a little cheaper now.

Lee and I headed to Port Orchard.  My anxiety was crazy as we sat in the traffic in Gorst...wondering what the hell are we doing??!!!

We get to the dealership and meet up with Gary, who I had set up a test drive with.  We already have driven an earlier model of this car when we rented one for a trip.  Gary was a salty retired Navy guy, and said he hated going on test drives with people and let us take the car for a drive all alone.

Here is where fate gets a little crazy, as we get on the freeway, a song comes on...Judas Priest, Breaking The Law...which is pretty much the theme song from the guys beloved Beavis and Butthead.  We kinda laugh it 
off.  Then I ask Lee to turn on the satellite radio..I have this in my truck and love it like a crazy person.  Lee pushes the button and right there on the screen punched in as "favorites" are my top three stations.  

We get back to the dealership, with our games faces on.  I know the car is a screamin' deal.  It is fully loaded...like, I cannot think of anything it does not have...and it's just under our planned goal.  Then they say since Lee is prior military they have another $500 off the price.  I try so hard not to smile, and get my bitch pants hiked up...and reply "if you split the cost of a window tint, fill up the gas tank and maybe toss in a couple oil changes we got a deal.  Gary said, I don't think they will go for the tint...I reply,  there are a shit ton of dealerships in our area.  

I am so glad I got to practice my "don't give me any bullshit" theories, when I went truck shopping with Susan a few years ago.  When they wanted to run my credit and up sell me stuff, I was steadfast. I had already worked the extended warranty and such into my deal with the bank at a huge savings.  I am honestly pretty shocked at how it all went down!  I left feeling victorious instead of screwed.  

So, after all that...we left with a 2015 Ford Focus, Titanium edition.  It's black on black...we have had nothing but white cars for 25 years!  We are, of course, keeping my baby...because I adore my truck and I live being able to fit all 7 of us in it and heading out for a family outing.

So here they are...our new dynamic duo!!!

The size difference is pretty funny...the little one gets three times more miles per gallon though.  Now, I need to call and get her insured!!


No comments:

Post a Comment