Monday, July 23, 2012

Port Townsend for ice cream...


On Friday, July 6th...I took Lee for a drive across the Hood Canal.  A few years ago, the kids and I took the same drive.  That day is lovingly referred to as "The Great Ice Cream Tour"....we had ice cream in two cities that day.  I told Lee, I knew where there was some great hand made ice creams...and he was in!!  So, we ventured to Port Townsend, WA.  I love Port Townsend, it is a little like Ferndale...it has some amazing Victorian buildings and a lot of character.  Not to mention the views there are outstanding!!



I took this picture because I loved the sign...Better Living Through Coffee!!  I think that should be my new motto!!


When the kids and I went, this was a not so pretty beach area in the middle of the main drag...now it is a lovely garden with simple flowers, a clean beach and a little spot to picnic!


A sample of the beautiful Victorian buildings that line the streets.


A Canadian Coast Guard vessel, I looked it up and this one is used for research.


On Friday's during the summer and early fall months, cruise ships depart the cruise terminal in Seattle and head north to Alaska.  The tall ship on the left is the Hawaiian Chieftain, one of a group of tall ships that tour the west coast.  It was moored at the Northwest Maritime Museum...we were too late to check out the museum..I would have loved to check that out.  If you can make the picture bigger...note the Cascade mountains in the back ground, and Mt. Baker.


Lee took his sunglasses of for the pic...notice the squint!  It was hot the whole time we were up there...hence the frizzy curls I had !


The Port Townsend ferry, which goes back and forth to Coupeville on Whidbey Island.  The Olympic mountain range is behind it.  The Olympics are simply amazing.  One thing I loved about living in Kitsap was that I could see the Olympics on my left and the Cascades on my right.


We ended the afternoon at Elevated Ice Cream....they hand make different flavors.  When I went with the kids, Arrielle and I both got huckleberry (I did not even know there really was huckleberries!  All I knew was Huckleberry Hound!!)...we both have searched for an ice cream just as delicious!!  Lee and I opted for gingersnap this go-round.  It did not disappoint!!  There was a few miles where the only words spoken were a mumbled "Yum"...it was at this point Lee decided that cars needed ice cream cone holders!!!  It was a lot of fun to show Lee a place he had only seen from the cutter he used to be on.

No comments:

Post a Comment