Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pieces of the puzzle...


I can honestly say that the knot in my stomach is finally releasing...slowly, but hopefully surely!!

I try so hard to see the positive...and always point it out for others, but sometimes I do not follow my own advice...ok, a lot of the time I don't!!

Lee sent off his first...and only, application and resume in late September. The next week, they called for an interview.  The description of this job was written like they knew Lee was out there.  He did great at the interview, even spent a chunk of time BSing with the ladies that interviewed him, about government contracts, budgets and reconciling government credit cards...I honestly think he was more excited to talk shop again with someone, than he was about the interview.  They said they would know what they were gonna do the next week....my stomach clinched in anticipation, we all know I hate the unknown.  Two days later, they called for Lee's references...stomach clinches again...tighter!  Lee emailed his list, and then the people on his reference list began calling him, saying they got a call....I can't take the pressure...so I have lunch with a friend and then join Arrielle for some grocery shopping.  While I am trying to distract MJ so Arrielle can finish, my cell phone rings.  Lee chats away, asking about MJ...and then drops the bomb, they called him...HE GOT THE JOB!!!!  He even asked for the higher rate of pay...a trick we learned a couple years ago at a Coast Guard retirement preparation class.  I truly did the happy dance in Fred Meyer!!!  Woo-hoo!!  He will be working for the Navy's Fleet and Family office, as a contracting officer.  His dream title, and what he has studied for the last few years!  He is not working at the shipyard or submarine base, his office is at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, in Keyport...about six miles from our home.  It's right next to the museum we visited last year...interesting!

Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Keyport WA
Lee's building is closer to the pier at the top right.
.  
As for me, I had a crazy group interview at JcPenney...and got a call a couple days later offering a part time seasonal sales associate job.  I took it, because I felt I was having a really hard time finding a job at a prime time of the year for retail jobs!  I have never been so unexcited about a job...JcPenney pushes their credit card and pushes it hard, and I am not very good at selling like that.  You are also judged by how many you get a customer to open...I was very nervous.  In the meantime, I got a call from the Navy Exchange, asking to interview me, and another from Fred Meyer (where Arrielle works).  I went to the NEX (Navy Exchange) interview yesterday, and was hired at the end of my interview (it would have been a huge blow if I wasn't, due to the fact I have almost 4 years of experience at a Coast Guard Exchange).  This is a job, I am totally comfortable with, and the pay is very close to JcP, and the hours are better (the same amount, just better timing).  So I called JcP and let them know, I had found something that would work better for me and my family.  I have my interview at Fred Meyer today...at least I know I already have a position...so whatever happens I am ok!

Elliott, has done all of his part of getting his GI Bill stuff started and the school has done their part...now we just wait and hope everything gets paid for!  

The pieces to our puzzle are starting to fit together...it is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time...as we ease into a civilian life.  The CG is all I have known for 24 years....it is kinda like taking off your favorite jacket, funny thing is...most all of our jackets say Coast Guard on them.

It is gonna be ok....I really think it will!


No comments:

Post a Comment