I took this picture a couple weeks ago, when I went to my dad's...I was pretty happy to see it again this past Wednesday, I will probably cry when I see the "sold" sticker on the sign. That is very selfish of me, but there are very few things that are constant in life. For me they are, the sun rises and sets and the Bellerud's have lived across the street! My parents bought their house a couple years before I was born (I just turned 47, you do the math)..so did the Bellerud's. They had teenagers and my mom and dad just had our basset hound Maypo, and mom's cat Tricia when they moved in. They watched our home when we lived in California and reported anything odd back to mom and dad. They were there when we moved back in the summer of 1983, their kids all grown and out of the house with their own families, and Mike and I were teens. Mel and Eunice were/are like extended family. I have great memories of Eunice, she was Norwegian...and that woman loved a sweet treat!!! She made incredible cookies and doughnuts I still dream of. I loved sitting in her kitchen with my mom. When I was pregnant, she tried to bribe me with her amazing doughnuts to name Mason, anything but Mason...she said it was not a good name! It still makes me laugh. We lost Eunice a few years ago, I take solace that my mom did not have to go through losing her. Eunice never knew my mom had cancer, disease had stolen her memories. I think it would have broken their hearts to lose each other.
Back to that sign, it makes me sad to see the house for sale. Mel is over 90 years old now and his daughters and son want them closer to where they live. So, he has found a small home around the corner from his youngest daughter. I don't think he wants to leave, but he understands the reasoning behind it. It is the same reason (even though they make him and me a little crazy) that I am glad Mike and Brett live with my dad. I feel like when he moves, we may not get to see him anymore..and that will be they end of a very long era.
As for the something amazing...well, that was just a tease. Because, I am not ready to share it yet. Stay tuned!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment