Seattle from the ferry, I never get tired of this cityscape.
My buddy Susan surprised me for my birthday. She knocked on our door like she was the IRS! I promptly called her an asshole. Lee and Susan worked out a plan for her to surprise me. Lee mentioned weeks ahead of time that Susan had said she wanted to surprise me, but I did not think it would truly happen. She is always insanely busy with work. Yet, there she was on our doorstep....I was pretty stinkin' thrilled!
After a relaxing first evening, filled with Mexican food and seeing MJ and Roslin, Susan and I headed out to spend my birthday in Seattle, showing her a few of my favorite things. First off, a ferry ride! I love taking the ferry, that ride was followed by one in a taxi. The taxi driver was sweet...meaning, every nook in that car was stuffed with candies...I got to take an extra one because it was my birthday!
Fruits and vegetables from the Pike Place Market.
The taxi took us up to Westlake Center and we walked a couple blocks to The Cheesecake Factory. We had a trio of appetizers and each took a slice of cheesecake to-go. We meandered in and out of stores...stopping to see the selection of fancy purses of course! We walked our way down to the water and the market. I pointed out things here and there, buildings, the first Starbucks, etc... It's hard to describe the Pike Place Market, it's an intense assault on the senses. The colors, smells and jostling of the crowds. I picked a bouquet of birthday flowers. We drank yummy iced coffees, people watched and checked out lots of booths and goodies.
My birthday bouquet.
Down towards the waterfront , we headed for The Great Wheel. I had ridden it before, but Susan was a tiny bit nervous. She looks a little terrified in the picture below. By the time the ride ended, I think she would not have minded a few more go rounds! It was a Seahawks home game day, and we planned our visit accordingly.
Susan on The Great Wheel.
By planning ahead we missed the huge crowds of fans on the ferry. In fact, while waiting for the ferry to open up for boarding, a young college aged man noticed my bouquet and asked if there was a special occasion...I replied it was my birthday. This guy and his buddies began to sing me happy birthday and got other passengers to join in too. It was pretty awesome. It was a great birthday, and I am still very touched at the thought and planning that went into my surprise "gift".
Just as you wait all year for your birthday and POOF, it's over...so was Susan's visit. It was nice to share with her some of the things I love so much about living here. I was happy give her the visual memories that will help illustrate our future conversations. She will know the places I am talking about. I am also hoping there will be another trip up here again...hint hint Susan!!!!
XOXO,
J....holy cow it's late! Time for bed!





No comments:
Post a Comment