Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recap of Arizona...

Thank goodness we have enough pets...or this little cutie would have come home with me in my purse, it is an Italian Greyhound puppy, we saw at the mall!
The Horizon plane that took me there...with its UW Huskies paint job!


Arizona was really nice, even though I brought some Humboldt rain with me! I was pretty nervous...the last time I flew was when Judy and I went to Vegas, 5 years ago! I settle into my seat on a plane that sorta feels like a flying Winnebago...with a lot less room! I am sitting next to a gentleman, who introduces himself as Leonard....he has that weird beard, 4 inches of whiskers that grow from the chin...odd, but whatever! We actually talked the whole way to LAX, about 2 hours....he laughed at me when during some turbulence, I grabbed the seat in front of me! We were on the same flight to Phoenix, so together we figured out the secret squirrel shuttle that will get you from one terminal to another without going through security again, and had some lunch together before the next flight. It was pretty fun.

I made in to Phoenix, and said my goodbyes to Leonard...and finally got my voicemail messages saying Chris was a little delayed. That turned out ok, since I needed to find my way to her terminal. That took a while... Anyway, Chris was about a half hour later than we had planned...so we headed to the car rental, so she could pick up our car for the weekend.....too bad they have security...we may have taken a new Camaro for a joy ride!! From there, we take our rumbling tummies to dinner....Texas Roadhouse, amazing rattlesnake bites (a version of jalapeno poppers), yummy steak...I was a very full and happy camper! We checked in to our hotel and settled in for the night....I was pretty tired, and went to bed kinda earlier than I thought.

Friday, we had the morning (breakfast at Cracker Barrel) and early afternoon to ourselves, with plans to meet Chris' grandma at 4pm. My request was to hit the mall. This mall was huge (Arrowhead Towne Center).....and had every store I could think of! I finally got to go inside a Yankee Candle store!!! I hit my favorites...Macy's and Sephora for a quick walk around. We stopped at a pet store full of puppies....I fell in love with a tiny Italian greyhound puppy. He was so cute...and so small! Thank goodness we already have Key, Texas and Lil' Kitty (who acts more like a dog than a cat)...because I could have carried him in my purse!! We made our way to where Barbara (Chris' grandma) lives, a beautiful retirement center. She may be 104 years old, but she is all there! She has a wicked sense of humor and I loved getting to hang out with her! She was an absolute delight! We finished our visit and hit the Cheesecake Factory on the way back to the hotel....for dinner and a nice slice of red velvet cheesecake. YUM!!! We watched tv in Chris' room and sipped some Skinnygirl margaritas....it was fun!

Saturday, Chris did not feel very well in the morning...so she rested. I walked to the coffee place, near the hotel and grabbed a latte and a scone, then came back and had some quality time with a book, and read until she was ready to go see Barbara again. We had another great visit with her. I got a little teary as we sat at dinner, and wondered about my grandma...I miss her. I miss my mom too, she would have thought the story about my new buddy Leonard was pretty funny! We ended the weekend food crawl with a meal from Black Bear Diner....their biscuits are delicious!

The weekend ended all too quickly when my alarm went off at 3:30am on Sunday morning...my flight left at 6. Chris and I said our goodbyes, as she dropped me off in front of the terminal on the way to return the car....I thanked her for an outstanding weekend!! By noon, I was home again. It really was a lot of fun, to get to spend time with Chris and to get away. I enjoyed every minute of it!

Thanks again Christine for EVERYTHING!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment