I have been thinking about marriage a lot lately...especially after seeing the news story about the couple that had been married for 72 years and after being involved in a car accident, passed away holding hands. Even after the husband stopped breathing...the monitors still registered a heart beat. The couple was surrounded by their family and they asked the nurse "why?"...and she said the monitor was picking up the wife's heartbeat. She passed away shortly after he did, they were still holding hands. That..to me...is amazing. I love stories like that.
I am truly amazed that Lee and I have been married 21 years, 50 weeks and 1 day....our anniversary is rapidly approaching. In this day, when marriage feels a little disposable...a long, and dare I say 'happy' marriage is not the norm. Sure, Lee and I have had our hiccups here and there...it would not be normal if we didn't. We have gone through a lot together, we have gone through some loss, a lot of stress, lots of time apart and I can let you know our secret...laughter. Really...Lee makes me laugh like no other...sure he annoys the crap out of me and at times I just want to smack him, and sometimes I even wonder if he could get underway again. He makes me laugh everyday...sometimes because he is just plain ridiculous. Honestly...how old does a man have to be, that farting is not funny anymore??? Farts aside, he is the one I want to hold hand with when I slip away. He still holds my hand, still makes me feel like when we met...still loves me even though I did not lose the baby weight...and our babies are adults...his love is true. Not everyday is perfect..but each day is a chance to make another memory.
Why are we as a society more concerned about celebrities marriages than our own relationships....we should not care about Demi and Ashton, that is their business. We should be more concerned with those we love...the ones we have chosen to give our hearts to. Relationships are work...you get what you give...and it bites when you feel like you are doing all the giving and the other person is just taking. It is not always sunshine and lollipops...some days just suck! Marriage is not a sprint race...it is a marathon.
I wish I had a copy of Lee and I's vows...because when we said them, I remember thinking "these are amazing words"....now all I remember is that I promised to love and to cherish, in sickness and health, in plenty and in want, for all the days of our lives. Those words mean so much....and I meant every one!
I love you Lee...farts and all!
*click on the title of this post "Marriage"...it should take you to the news story about the couple.
No comments:
Post a Comment