Monday, January 7, 2013

Week #1....The Shoulder Chronicles

Typing is not easy with only one hand able to reach the keyboard, so blog entries may be kinda short.

Week one....I survived it.  Let me tell you, I would not even wish this on someone I don't like.  The pain was more intense than I thought it would be...and the pain med they gave me is strong (it is one of the ones they gave my mom when she was dying..so, I think that is where my fear of it comes from)...anyways, it knocks me out so well that while napping on the couch, I did not even wake up when Lee had his guitar amp turned up really loud. Yikes!!  I have to wear my sling all day and night for 6 weeks..it is only removed for showers and physical therapy.  I already hate it.

The guys have been great...they only problems we have usually come from me...sometimes I let it get to me that I feel like I cannot take care of myself.   Technically, with one hand I can only wash  one half of my body...I don't like needing help.  Lee helps me dress...I have been in my jammies a lot...because I can get the bottoms up and down by myself to use the bathroom...if I wear jeans, after I am done I need Lee's help with the button and zipper.  I found a tshirt to wear yesterday, that was easy to get on...due to it being one size too large for me...wearing jeans and a tee made me feel human again.  The only thing I wish I would have prepared more for was teaching these guys to do something with my hair...they both suck at it.  They do get an "A" for effort though.

All in all, I am hanging in there...telling myself to just keep swimming!!!  Tomorrow morning I have a doctor appointment...I am eager to hear what he says about my surgery.

 My hand, is so ugly...it took a couple attempts to get the IV in...so it is all bruised up..with a gross shade of green.

My couch fort, where I spend much of the day...with a tray of goodies on the left...remotes, pain meds, peppermints for nausea, my phone, and usually a water bottle.  The blue backrest is Elliott's, I lean against it and it keeps my arm/sling at a comfortable angle.  You have to watch the cats..as soon as I get up they steal my "warm" spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment