When we first lived in Ferndale...about 10 years ago, I made a statement to Leanne that brown cows were friendlier that the black and white ones! I still stand behind that statement. Last night, while making dinner, Susan got a text that twin baby bulls were born that afternoon...all I could think was "let's go see", so we left Lee to finish the dinner making duties and went down to see them. I am totally in awe of dairy farming, and very curious about the whole process, so what may seem like everyday stuff to the people that live here...is completely amazing to me. Susan and William walked me around and let me see all the different parts of the dairy. Where the new calves are in the barn, where the youngsters hang out, and where the new mom's and mom's to be are placed when it is close to their time to deliver. It did not matter to me that I almost stepped in the afterbirth from the days earlier delivery, or that no matter what- you still smell cow poop, or that I was a little scared of one heifer that was due to deliver and had a intense stare...I was like a little kid at Disneyland. Now, I gotta figure out a way to get invited back to see more!
Monday, July 27, 2009
Cows, cows, cows!!!
When we first lived in Ferndale...about 10 years ago, I made a statement to Leanne that brown cows were friendlier that the black and white ones! I still stand behind that statement. Last night, while making dinner, Susan got a text that twin baby bulls were born that afternoon...all I could think was "let's go see", so we left Lee to finish the dinner making duties and went down to see them. I am totally in awe of dairy farming, and very curious about the whole process, so what may seem like everyday stuff to the people that live here...is completely amazing to me. Susan and William walked me around and let me see all the different parts of the dairy. Where the new calves are in the barn, where the youngsters hang out, and where the new mom's and mom's to be are placed when it is close to their time to deliver. It did not matter to me that I almost stepped in the afterbirth from the days earlier delivery, or that no matter what- you still smell cow poop, or that I was a little scared of one heifer that was due to deliver and had a intense stare...I was like a little kid at Disneyland. Now, I gotta figure out a way to get invited back to see more!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment