Thursday, November 19, 2009

Some thoughts on Thanksgiving....



This picture is of my Mom, on her last Thanksgiving (2006)....she actually passed away exactly three weeks later.

I used to love Thanksgiving, it has been my favorite holiday since I was a kid. How can you not love a holiday the revolves around food and shopping?? I cannot say it is my favorite anymore...I think new memories are haunted by some wonderful old ones...it is the time of year that I really miss my Mom and Lee's Dad. I thought I would share some of those old memories today...


My mom loved Thanksgiving...I think it was because she loved pumpkin pie. We did not seem to travel on Thanksgiving, it was either the four of us or friends came over. My mom would wake up very early to make her pies....followed soon after by two kids, she used to make pie crust cookies for us...pie crust sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. I loved to watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade...just to see the balloons. My mom busy in the kitchen, she also made this fruit and Jello thing we refer to as the pink stuff....she made a little bowl of it for me with the fruit cocktail left out. Mom had the kitchen table covered in chips and dips, crackers and cheese...and my fave, celery with cheese squeezed on it! After munching all day, I am surprised we made it through dinner. It was always wonderful! Later when I was an adult and living at home, my mom and I once went grocery shopping at midnight for all the things we needed for turkey day. We laughed and giggled the whole way through the store...I will never forget it. My mom used to love to ditch me at the store, apparently I would always wonder off...and to teach me a lesson, she would make it hard to find her...she continued this well into my 30's everytime we went to the grocery store together. My mom's last Thanksgiving....her goal was to get everyone together to watch Ice Age 2. We all gathered at Mike's house, with Mike's kids, Lee was home, so it was the four of us and my parents. We did exactly what she wanted....we all sat together and watched the DVD together, just like she wanted. It was a wonderful dinner and a great Thanksgiving, a little bittersweet knowing it would be her last. I am so glad I took pictures that day, she would be pissed that I posted a picture of her sick...but I know now, you need to remember everything so you can tell the story. I have ice Age 3 already picked out to watch this year, in her memory.

As an adult, I hosted Thanksgiving only a few times. Always for the same six people, my family of four joined by Lee and Judy (Lee's Dad and step mom). When we were living in Ferndale and Petaluma, we spent every Thanksgiving together. Six awesome holidays. Lee's dad was an early riser....so I had to get up early...because they were on their way, he also drove at the speed of light!! I loved when they would get there, my house smelling of turkey and pumpkin spice candles...and filled with love. One Thanksgiving, Dad and Judy brought Charles and Darlene...for probably what may have been our version of a National Lampoon's Thanksgiving. We needed to fill an air mattress....in Lee (sr) and Charles (possibly whiskey and beer induced) minds...they decided the fastest way to fill them was with exhaust from the Corvette...the idea made even better that now that the mattress was filled with warm air and Judy would be nice and warm. I was so worried someone would not wake up in the morning! That was the Thanksgiving there was an earthquake right as we sat down to eat. I loved spending time with them...Lee's dads green bean recipe is hands down the family favorite, and on my table every year. I think of Judy every time I clean out the turkey...she does not like naked raw turkeys. Lee Sr. taught me that warm apple crumb pie with vanilla ice cream was wonderful...still cannot believe I waited until my 30's to try that!


This year will be another first for us....my/our first Thanksgiving with a son not at home. I know that Mason will be surrounded by those that love him, and I know he will call us...and I know he will miss grandpa's green beans and eating pumpkin pie for breakfast. With any luck, although I doubt it...we will be making Thanksgiving dinner in our new place...I do not care if we are eating picnic style on the floor....because I know I will take pictures and it will be a new memory to cherish next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment