Elliott...just starting his part of the relay race.
Oh my goodness!!! So, Elliott had his first track meet on Friday...I assumed it was cancelled because school was cancelled due to the tsunami. Elliott lets me know it is still on about an hour before we are supposed to meet at the school...ugh! We meet at the high school, load up a couple members of Elliott's track team and we are off to Arcata... the meet is at the HSU field. Track meets take forever and are kind of hard to figure out what the heck is going on, because there is a lot going on at the same time. Finally it it Elliott's relay race....I am a nervous nelly!! I text Lee, because I am so nervous. I sat there and prayed that when Lauren passed the baton to Elliott, it would not get dropped. The baton pass goes perfectly...and Elliott is off and running...I am so impressed as I watch, his form is straight and perfect....I feel my heart swell with mommy pride.....and then he goes down....gets back up and runs a few more feet...and falls again....I toss my purse aside and I am off and running across the field. When I get to Elliott, he is dazed and confused....his knees look like hamburger and his elbow is bloody. Turns out, my little runner had not eaten since he had his cocoa pebbles for breakfast. His body was running on no fuel at all!
We get Elliott situated on a bench and everyone is looking him over, we get him to eat some granola bar and sip some water...he is still pretty dazed and says it feels a little surreal. His coach comes up and congratulates Elliott on never once dropping the baton and even with falling, he passed it successfully on to the next runner. Yeah Elliott!!! Just after that, a girl from Fortuna High, tells Elliott "You ran great"....aww!! We make sure he is all in one piece and convince him that chicks dig scars. The assistant coach helps me load Elliott int he truck, and advises me on what Elliott should eat before a meet...because even after a nasty fall, he still wants to run.
I get him home...with a bag of Taco Bell burritos to fill his tummy...and situated on the couch with ice packs on his knee's....he must have been in pain, because he totally let me smother him with mom love, and did not roll his eyes once, when I asked too many questions about the video game he played as he sat there.
He is back to normal now....I am still nervous about the next track meet...but I know he will be fine. As long as I don't have to run again.......I will be fine too!
No comments:
Post a Comment