Jenny and Greg, on All My Children, February 1984
There is a little something a mom teaches her daughter....it is not in the usual stuff that she teaches, like makeup and that girlie kind of stuff. It is the love of "drama"....even though many women will say they hate all the drama...we secretly love it. Why do you think all these Real Housewives of Some City shows are so popular....yeah, I admit it, I watch every show!
It was not that type of drama my mom taught me though....I learned about drama from watching "All my Children"....which I have probably watched off and on since I was a toddler. All My Children airs its last show next Friday the 23rd. I will be DVRing these last episodes...to watch, because soaps were a special bond I had with my mom. My mom and I loved All My Children and General Hospital...often talking on the phone while watching the episodes together. We discussed Luke and Laura on General Hospital....the story lines captivated and sometimes were just a little too out of this world...like when Elizabeth Taylor was going to freeze Port Charles..there were a couple possible alien story lines in there too!
On February 14th, 1984...my mom let me stay home "sick" to watch the wedding of Jenny and Greg! It was awesome! We would discuss all of Erica Kane's husbands...we always liked Jack though! The story of Angie and Jessie was a favorite too.
For a while, my mom was really into One Life To Live...the spring before she got sick, she and I went to the women's show in downtown Seattle. One of the cuties from OLTL would be there. I cannot remember his name...but he was English and very good looking! As we got ready to leave, we get on the elevator...and there he is...Oh my!!! We told him we were fans of the show and he thanked us....we get out of the elevator kinda dumbstruck. Then I remembered my cell phone had a camera...damn it!!! She would have loved to have a picture of the two of them together.
It was not only me that she passed the love of soaps to...she got my dad too. She got him hooked on the British ones. This makes me smile.
So, on Friday the 23rd....at exactly noon, I will be busy..likely crying too...watching the last episode of All My Children...and remembering all the times I had with my mom while watching a silly soap opera. I will be grateful to the soaps for those moments.

No comments:
Post a Comment