Sunday, September 25, 2011

My birthday week....

Wow...what a week.   Where to begin....ok, how about the job situation.  So...I had my interview on Tuesday, at a bead shop in Arcata.  The interview went very well, I was pleased.  I would have been bummed if I did not get a call for a second interview.  I did get the call for the second interview, and I had it on Friday (23rd)...this one was mainly with the girls that already work there...I like this idea, because they are more apt to tell you what you really want to know...and current employees are usually good at figuring out who will vibe well with the shop.  Talking with both employees went well, I liked them.  The owner sat with me again and explained that they were concerned about the fact that the Coast Guard can be unpredictable and even though it is very unlikely, they can transfer us anytime.  In 22 years of being married...being a military wife has never factored into my ability to get a job.  It seems to be a huge factor in this area...and honestly it hurts my feelings.  Anyway..they are calling today either way...I don't have my positive panties on today.  We shall see...

My birthday....the festivities began at 7:30am , with a duet from Wyatt and Grace, the kids that live next door...complete with red velvet cookies and a handmade card!  I loved it.  I got hugs and love from Lee and Elliott...yeah!  My dad and Mike serenaded me with their version of the birthday song...my dad sings to me every year..it really is my favorite part of the day!  I got to talk to Mason and Arrielle.  My cell phone was full of great text messages, and my facebook wall was inundated with birthday wishes.  I got flowers from Susan and Lee, and a lot of candles in delicious fall scents!  Lee made a yummy steak and baked potato dinner, and we had some of the birthday cake I made.  It was a really nice day.  

 One of my favorite places to eat is this teeny tiny places in Loleta...Loleta Bakery.  It is first and foremost a bakery, with delicious breads and pastries...but they also do a lunch menu.  I try hard to get something different every time.  I got lucky this week and I got to go twice.  Once with Leanne...she celebrates her birthday the day before me, and again with Susan and Emily.  I tried strata....holy moly!  Wonderful does not describe how it tasted.  I always finish my lunch there with a latte...they are the best there, and usually a chocolate chip cookie (although I did try the carrot cake too this week).

I finished my lunch with Emily and Susan and we headed to Susan's parents place.  I love their place almost as much as I love Susan's house in Ferndale!  They live on the outskirts of Eureka, on Humboldt Hill.  They are surrounded by urban sprawl...but when you are there you hardly notice it.  Susan's dad raises chickens...his eggs are sought after.  They are delicious and the yolks are practically orange.  Not like an egg from the grocery store.  You cannot leave Larry and Judy's without a bag of something...

 This is the small patch of their garden.   I left with carrots, beets (don't tell the guys), cabbage, basil, parsley, onions, and of course some fresh eggs.
 There are 5 (I think) Texas Longhorns in the pasture beside the house.  This picture does not justice to how enormous the head and horns are on this cow!  They have no names...although Rufus or Silas seems the perfect name for this one!
 These are the ladies in the bunch...you can see the "urban sprawl" in the back...and apartment complex.  I love this little mini farm...Larry and Judy have truly made it an oasis!
 Here are just a few of the chickens....I swear they produce the best eggs.  I am sure Susan's dad thinks I am nuts...because I tell him his eggs are so pretty.  I love colors of the "brown" eggs...so many shades.  Like I said earlier, the yolks are dark, I call them nuclear eggs, because they are so different than store bought eggs.

Awww, Thursday....my gift from Christine came....I could barely sleep,  I was so excited!  She is very generous and spoils me rotten.  I think she was as excited as I was.  She replaced the old washer with this one.  She shops with her consumer reports in hand and made sure she found the right washer.  I would have been happy with anything.  I have been washing all sorts of things, just so I can try out all the variations!!  Thanks again Christine....you are amazing!

A little update on the job...they just called.  I did not get it.  She said it was a really tough decision, but they were afraid of me getting whisked away....REALLY???...UGH!!!!  In they end it will be their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment