
My 'thank you' poster from Ms. Stewart's 1st grade class.
Early last month we participated in the annual CG garage sale. Lee decided to sell some DVD's...we have a lot! A lady came up and asked if by chance we had any VHS movies for kids. She went on to explain that she teaches at the elementary school just across the street, and that they still have only VHS players in the class room. I told her...have I got the deal for you!!! We had 4 boxes of videotapes that had not even been unpacked since our move to Port Orchard in 2004. They were all perfect for that age group as well. I told her I would love to donate them to the school, and I would bring them to her within the next week.
I opened the 4 boxes of movies....and sifted through the memories I had of each one, watching them cuddled up with the boys when they were little. Like the time in Texas, when it was so hot outside, we celebrated Christmas in July...we turned up the air conditioning to make it cold in the house, made hot chocolate and watched Christmas videos for two days. The time when Elliott was all about Barney and Thomas, The Tank Engine....don't tell him I told you about Barney. All of the Disney movies, like our first one...The Little Mermaid....who knew we would someday have our very own princess Arrielle. It was a sweet trip down memory lane, but I was also excited to share them with these kids! Lee loaded the boxes in the truck and I dropped them off.
I had not heard anything from the teacher...but it was also the time of year when things get crazy at school, so I did not think anything of it....until there was a knock at the door. There was Ms. Stewart, holding a huge poster for us. It was a 'thank you' poster made by the kids in her class. Each kid wrote a note, calling me the 'movie lady'...some went as far as to call me a 'rock star'...thank goodness someone finally recognized my desire to be a rock star...LOL (lots of laughter). Each note was a thank you and a mention of their favorite movies...it is adorable. One kid asked if I saw the new Kung Fu Panda movie, he recommended it...so I guess I will have to catch it!
As I struggle some days, with my role of "mom" feeling diminished...it was awesome to share these movies and know I made a child smile one more time. These movies made my boys smile for years...and I hope they can for the kids at Lafayette Elementary for a while too...or at least until they get DVD players.
That is so awesome! You are a rock star! :D
ReplyDelete